Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.

^^Nothing to be sorry about. I would (and used to) wonder too. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorAzure
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2013

HALP. I haven’t submitted an article in so long that I’ve forgotten how to do it! Do I submit as pending or as live?

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

Pending.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I’d say pending, just to keep it from suddenly appearing on the main site.

So, you’re a staff writer, which means you have the ability to publish your own articles as live. You can submit as live if the current featured article has been up for around twenty-four hours. If it has been up for less than that, submit as pending. Then after the featured article has been up for enough time either you can go in and post your article or someone else will. It would also be best to submit as pending if other articles are in the queue ahead of you waiting to be published (you can see that by clicking the “content” tab and going to “articles”). If there are articles that are pending when you submit your article, then you could also submit as pending and wait until all articles ahead of you have been published, following the twenty-four hour rule, before posting to live. If any of that is confusing, I’ll try to explain it better.

EDIT:
    My answer is way longer than everybody else’s….

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

But it is the most detailed.

•  
      CommentAuthorAzure

No, that was very helpful! I’d been wondering how much that would change things. I’m glad that I asked!

•  
      CommentAuthorSìlfae
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2013

Sorry, I was reading again the various utilities’ topics, and I started to wonder if I understood correctly the process; to avoid any misunderstanding on my part, I would like to ask: to submit the articles and works I need to send them still by email and wait for approval or I can just go submitting them as Pending in the Txp site and wait the queque and 24 hours as explained above by NeuroticPlatypus?

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2013

I’d say keep submitting them. They’ll eventually get cleared. Sometimes it takes a little longer than people intended for things to be approved.

•  
      CommentAuthorSìlfae
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2013

Alright, thanks; I’ve already have three of them Pending, I just wanted to be sure I was going the right way, I’m in no hurry.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

I think you can set your stuff to “Live,” and that’ll post it to the main site. The 24-hour wait is a courtesy thing.

But I’m not certain, and I always leave my stuff as “Pending,” and let someone else move it to “Live.”

•  
      CommentAuthorlilyWhite

I think only certain members can post as “live”; I’m fairly certain there was one time where I had forgotten to mark it as “pending” but it saved as “pending” anyway.

•  
      CommentAuthorSìlfae

Yes, no, at least, when I asked after sending the second article by email, Kyllorac said to put them as Pending and wait for editors to turn them Live.

•  
      CommentAuthorPryotra

I think only certain members can post as “live”; I’m fairly certain there was one time where I had forgotten to mark it as “pending” but it saved as “pending” anyway.

Only staff writers can set things as live, and whenever you set something as live, it’s just stuck on pending. Since you guys are posting a lot, I’m pretty sure that you’ll be set as staff eventually.

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2013

Approved an article. I will review some of the other things in the queue, it looks like we’ve built up a little bit of a backlog.

Rorschach <— will try to do a better job as editor

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2013

Since I’m not going to be around for a while, if anyone is interested in becoming a staff editor, please let me know so I can give you the proper permissions and access to the submissions email.

• CommentAuthorRocky
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2013

Arg. The Textile help link won't open. How do you center text in a post?
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I’m not actually sure if there is a way to center text with Textile, or at least not the version we use on the forums.

• CommentAuthorPotatoman

How do I keep sending articles to the site exactly? I wanted to send one today and I did, I just want to know what to do if I want to keep sending new ones.

After someone looks at the article you sent to the email, you will get a Text Pattern account, which is how you will submit future articles. If you already have more and don’t have a Text Pattern account yet, just send them to the email address.

Just FYI, there are three new emails in the II email right now for any editors who have the time to look at them.

• CommentAuthorPotatoman

@NeuroticPlatypus Thanks! :D

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2013

Quick question, is the forum set up to handle unicode v6? I tried to copy-paste a unicode symbol from one text block into the Impishidea comment box, and although it showed up in the preview as expected, when I went to post it kept deleting itself and everything after it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSìlfae

Sorry if I ask, but are there still problems with editing avaiability? I’ve four entries Pending for months now (the oldest being submitted in June 27), but I see other more recent works have been put Live; is there something I should have done or.. what?

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2013 edited

I think there’s still some problems with editor availability, but you can change your own stuff from Pending to Live. That’s what I’ve been doing, anyway. And if you’ve had stuff sitting there since June, it’s probably okay to post your stuff.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance

I’ve had the same problem. Though I sent an email to the submissions because it was my first article.

If you are a staff writer (as Apep is), you can set your own stuff to live (which is why some more recent articles have been posting. If you are a freelancer, you have to wait for editor approval. And I can’t speak for the other editors, but I still do not have time to read/approve articles currently.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance

How do you get an account, though? This was my first time submitting.

To get an account, someone has read the article you sent and then an publisher has to create an account for you. Puppet and Kyllorac are the main people who make accounts.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013

Hi. I’m not really around due to real life stuff, but I’ll be going through the submissions email and adding new contributors and promoting some people to Staff Writer.

If anyone is interested in helping out with the editing and first time submissions, please please please let me know so I can give you access to all the necessary powers and stuff.

•  
      CommentAuthorKyllorac

And I’ve finished going through all the pending articles (I hope) and queuing them up. There will be a new article posted every 2 days for the next 10 days.

I’ve also set up Resistance’s account. You should be able to post your own articles now.

Up next: tackling all the submissions from July.

•  
      CommentAuthorSìlfae

Wonderful, can’t wait to see them appearing; thank you, Kyllorac; guess I’m back to writing more, now…

• CommentAuthorPotatoman
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2013

Hello! I had an idea for an article that I would like to submit sometime (after heavy editing and polishing) and I was wondering… could I become a staff writer if I submitted one?

Typically, you get to be a staff writer after publishing several articles with the proper formatting and whatnot that do not require a lot of editing/corrections. So, yes, but probably not after just one.

• CommentAuthorPotatoman
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2013

Oh okay then, thanks for the clarification :)

• CommentAuthorPotatoman
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2014

So the save button in Textpattern has vanished, at least for me. I can’t save them and it shows the latest one I’ve submitted as live, even when I select pending. What do I do?

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2014

@ Potatoman – are you referring to Part 12 of the Evermore spork?

• CommentAuthorPotatoman
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2014

@Rorschach – Yes, that one. I want to edit but I can’t save.

•  
      CommentAuthorRorschach
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2014

Gotcha. So, at your level of permissions, you can only edit articles until they’re approved. Typically, the managing editors will review articles, make edits, and then set them to “live” but change the time so they post at regular intervals. Once that’s been done you can’t edit anymore, even if the article hasn’t been posted; which is what happened for that one.

If you want, you can whisper me the changes and I will make the edits.

Cheers,
    Rorschach

I would also add, don’t save as pending until you’re ready for it to be posted because editors go through and post pending articles (as Rorschach said). Save as a draft while you’re still working on it, and always proofread the article preview.

•  
      CommentAuthorpugbutter
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2014

what differentiates a “phantom user” from a “guest”

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2014

A phantom user is just a registered user who’s hidden from the online list. You can change that setting under Account > Forum Preferences > Hide my username from the “Who’s Online” panel.

• CommentAuthorPotatoman
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2015

Hai. How do I get Textpattern to not think I’m a spambot so I can submit comments on Pryotra’s awesome article?

Every time I press submit, I get a message saying:

Textpattern has detected signs of automatism. Please check your comment.

:’(

•  
      CommentAuthorTakuGifian

Maybe not be so much of a bot?

Save your comment in a notepad, then refresh the page. Maybe check if Impish has any cookies or cake cache on your system, then eat delete them and try refreshing the page again.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Taku, you need to stop giving advice when you’re hungry.

•  
      CommentAuthorSarahSyna
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2015

I can't find the You Slay Me Spork by Falconempress, either by going through their page or the tags. Was it taken down and I just can't find the notice, or is it missing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2015

It’s not in Textpattern, so I assume someone deleted it, but I’m not sure who or when.

•  
      CommentAuthorResistance
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2015

I submitted an article, and published it as “Pending.” When I used Textpattern a few months ago, you could go back to a pending article in the article list and revise it. I now cannot. Can I delete or change my pending article or has that been changed?

• CommentAuthorPotatoman
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2017

I’ve saved an article as pending, and it’s been there for a while. Is something up?

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Articles don’t post until you put them as “live.” If you want to post later, you can set the date/time in the “timestamp” area.

Do you want me to post it to the main site?

• CommentAuthorPotatoman

Yes please! I’ve tried saving them as live but it always sets me back to pending. I’ve been getting a restricted area notice whenever that happens. Thank you Apep!

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2017 edited

Yeah, I think your problem is that you’re a “staff writer” or whatever, and only “editors” can actually post stuff as live. It’s set to go now, so it’ll be up tomorrow.

• CommentAuthorPotatoman

Thanks so much, Apep! I really appreciate it.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2017

Okay, so I got around to checking the II submissions email, and found some folks looking to join on as staff writers for the main site. I know I have copy editor status, but I don’t know if that means I can add new users to the textile site. If not, could someone with higher authorization either A) add the new users, or B) upgrade me so I can do it myself?

I’m only bringing this up because there’s been a little talk about the lack of activity in the forums, and there’s been a general dearth of activity on the main site. I know everyone has lives outside this site, but I don’t want to see this community fade out due to inactivity.