Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTANSTAAFL
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2010

Who here likes the Dune series? I’ve only read the original, but it’s one of the best books I’ve ever read. Discuss its pure win here.

I love it, but, like you, I’ve only read the first book. Supposedly, the second and third are almost as good, and the later ones are mediocre.

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2010 edited

I read the first two ( Dune and Dune Messiah), but crapped out in the third ( Children of Dune). Paul gets kinda depressing during Messiah, but I guess that’s to be expected when you’re unintentionally responsible for mass genocide…

•  
      CommentAuthorSpanman

I thought the premise of Dune was fantastic, but the execution of the actual story was badly done. Honestly, I enjoyed reading the appendices more than the book. I found all the technicalities really fascinating, the space travel, the religions, the stillsuits and everything. I just couldn’t get into the story or the characters.

I thought the premise of Dune was fantastic, but the execution of the actual story was badly done.

Yeah, that’s the conclusion I’ve come to as well. At first, I thought it was the bestest book ever, but then I re-read it and… well yeah, not super great.

Yeah, I tried it. But I found the author's religious thing offensive and I didn't care for the whole concubine thing either. It was like RVL and Spanman said a pretty good idea (if you delete the religious stuff and the concubines of course) but not very well written.

As an aside I didn't like the idea of slow on the attack fast on the parry. It should have been fast parry fast attack IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

Aw, I love Dune! I’m new to the series as well, but I’ve read through the first three books at least. They’re so confusing, though. I’m a fast reader, but I have to force myself to slow down and think about everything to understand what’s going on!

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

Yeah, the books can get pretty heavy at points.

@Clib: What do you mean by ‘the author’s religious thing’ and ‘the whole concubine thing?

Also, there’s a reason they attack slow when knife fighting – people tend to wear shields that stop fast moving objects when they knife fight, hence the need to move the blade slower to get past the shield. The only reason they don’t use them on Arrakis is because the shields attract the giant sand worms.

•  
      CommentAuthorClibanarius

But he could have made it where it would still stop arrows, bullets and beams and have it where the characters would still be able to attack fast.

You remember the concubine's in the start? Paul's mom was one IIRC, personally I find that disgusting.

And then the author did the whole religions are teh ebil and conglomerated them into one big. . . Pet religion for lack of a better phrase.

Which as a Christian I find to be as bad as Pullman's athesist propaganda fest.

Quick Note: I do _not_ want to get into a debate.
    • CommentAuthorDamselfly

I've loved Dune for a while, read all of the books in the series by Frank Herbert and some of the terrible ones by his son. To the people that said they never got to the third book, I suppose I'd understand, the second one is supposed to be the weakest in the series, and the third comparable to the first.
    @Clib--
    I'm not debating, but I'm just going to say that I think you might be wrong about the religion bit, that there's only one big religion around. The Orange Catholic Bible is quoted often, and I recognize that as a combination of several concepts, but there are other faiths mentioned. The Fremen have their own belief system, as do the Tleilax, that is different both in practice and origin, as far as I know. Actually in either the last or second to last (? it's been a while) books, more religions are mentioned that are also different. I guess the best example is Judaism.
    In general, I haven't ever found the Dune books to be very heavy handed with religion (I mean, when one compares to Pullman, that is). That is to say, I didn't sense that the author was trying to force his views upon the readers. I honestly never picked up on a religion is evil vibe. Could you elaborate? I don't have the religious exposure some have and often miss very obvious things. I mean, obviously the Bene Gesserit use peoples' various religions to manipulate them, but I'm not sure if that is what you're referring to, in part.

As to the concubine thing, it's obviously understandable if you find that distasteful, but I don't think including that makes them bad books.
    It's late and I'm tired, so sorry if I haven't been very articulate, or have offended in any way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorApep

Okay, I was just wondering if you didn’t like that stuff because you didn’t understand them, or you did understand them, but still didn’t like them. I don’t want to start a debate, I don’t disagree with anything you said, so I’ll just have my say and leave it at that.

I’ll admit that the series goes into some potentially uncomfortable areas as to the power of religion (hence my comment about Paul causing genocide). That sort of thing isn’t a pleasant topic.

Concerning the concubine thing, remember that marriage in the books isn’t like it is today, but more like it was a few centuries ago – something to do with politics, not love. Leto couldn’t marry Jessica, even though he probably wanted to, because then he couldn’t marry someone else (like someone from another noble house, thus gaining a political ally).

As for the shields, well, here’s the entry from the glossary/encyclopedia:

SHIELD, DEFENSIVE: the protective field produced by a Holtzman generator. This field derives from Phase One of the suspensor-nullification effect. A shield will permit entry only to objects moving at slow speeds (depending on setting, this speed ranges from six to nine centimeters per second) and can be shorted out only by a shire-sized electric field. ( See Lasgun)

I’m pretty sure most arrows and defiantly bullets move faster than nine cm/sec. Now, the entry for Lasgun (the beam weapons in the Dune universe):

LASGUN: continuous-wave laser projector. Its use as a weapon is limited in a field-generator-shield culture because of the explosive pyrotechnics (technically, subatomic fusion) created when its beam intersects a shield.

So, in essence, lasgun + shield = nuclear explosion – radiation. They actually use this to their advantage in the first book, since no one wears shields on Arrakis, so they can use lasguns without fear of killing everything within a five mile radius. Until someone sets up a shield behind them as they’re escaping the bad guys, who just happen to be carrying lasguns…

Basically, its a reason to have a bunch of characters fight with knives, rather than just shoot at each other. And you have to admit, the way the shields work adds a level of complexity to fighting – strike too fast, and your knife will bounce off the shield; too slow, and you’ll miss your opponent.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

It’s flat-out said in the third bookm (I think) that it’s the only reason hand-to-hand combat re-emerged. So basically, Herbert wanted to include swords, but needed a good excuse why the futuristic people were still using them. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorApep
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2010

Hey, it’s a better rationale than Simon R. Green gave in the Deathstalker books – he made almost all the guns take way too long to recharge. For example, in the first book, they brag about the fact that the new energy guns only take two minutes to recharge. For perspective, a good soldier could fire a muzzle loaded musket three times in one minute.

I always wondered why they never thought to bring back bullets or use lasers in Deathstalker.

I know that's why they have shields because herbert wanted swords, my point is he could have had it where they could still attack fast, a laser moves at light-speed, bullets and arrows move a lot faster than any guy with sword. So he could have had it where it was fast parry fast attack.

I read the first book, but didn’t like it for different reasons than other people here seem to. The only “good” character, someone who respected people (e.x. saving people from the sand worm instead of the equipment) seemed to be portrayed as a sedimental fool, while his jerk son is shown as the ideal person.(give or take some minor flaws) So the only decent person in the book was killed off early, and the violent jerkasses run the show, and are the “good guys”.

Yeah, I detest books with characters like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeni

seemed to be portrayed as a sedimental fool

Teeheehee. I know you meant sentimental, but it’s an apt spelling mistake considering the nature of Dune. :D

•  
      CommentAuthorApep

@ TA: Yeah, Leto probably didn’t deserve what he got, but he might have been planning on recruiting the Fremen as an army to rival the Emperor’s Sardukar, so he might not be all that squeaky clean.

As for Paul, well

•  
      CommentAuthorMiel

One of Herbert’s big themes in Dune is the nature of humanity. That’s why Leto, the most human character, had to die, and that’s why Paul, who tries to retain his humanity, doesn’t become God Emperor. Leto II does, and he’s the one who sacrifices his humanity for absolute power. I do find Herbert’s characterisation heavy-handed, but it works in the way that he intended. Sort of.

I’m a Dune geek, but I have my beefs with Frank Herbert. Here’s one of my biggest ones: (Spoilers if you haven’t read God Emperor of Dune)

•  
      CommentAuthorVirgil
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2010

I can’t stand Dune. If everyone wasn’t on about it was the greatest science fiction ever, it would just be okay, but christ do I constantly hear about its greatness. I agree with Spanny above, good premise, terrible execution. And only three small chapters with the Harkonnens, the coolest people in the book.

• CommentAuthorFenix
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2010

I actually like Dune, but the greatest work ever? no, not by a long shot.
    I read the prequel to Dune series first(written by his son) and I really liked them, now I was a bit younger back then, so my memory is a little hazy, but I thought that explored the universe quite well and showed why characters like Duncan are awesome(something I found a bit laking in the originals). I recommend the prequels to anyone who likes Dune, although I have heard that there was heavy criticism against them by fans(though most of it was against the legend of dune series). I unfourtunately only read a translated version of Dune, but I generally agree with a lot of the above posters, the first book was good, the world/universe building is awesome, but characterisation and storytelling are laking. The second book was fun, but less so then the first and had many of the same problems, the third book was downright boring and I never finished it.

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010

Just finished with The God-Emperor of Dune, and wanted to comment on why the characters are all horrible people. I’m pretty sure it’s on purpose, like in Wuthering Heights. The books are all about humanity and morality and (thus far) the basic theme has been “you can’t do something good without doing something bad, and everyone will misunderstand you anyway”. Or maybe that’s just The God-Emperor of Dune.

TGEoD remarks: