Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBrink
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010

My least favorite part.

Once I have some basic idea of the characters and the plot, I’m all ready to go. It seems, though, that I can’t think of any new, original ideas anymore. I have this fragment floating around in my head about a necromancer who’s supposed to bring around the apocalypse (or something like it, I guess), but nothing more than that.

I know that ideas have to be your own, but how do you get them?

I am in need of inspiration.

I’m trying to follow the Warren Ellis school of thinking when it comes to brainstorming.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

I’ve never had problems with this, as I think plotting stories (even though most of them never end up written) is really fun. I don’t think I’ve ever thought “I need an idea, what could I write about?” because there’s just so much out there that gives me random inspiration. Most of it ends up either being accidental plagiarism (in which I run with something for at least a week before I realize most of it already exists) or cliched garbage, but a lot of the things I invent I can move into other, more original plots. Basically, even ideas that can’t stand alone can be beneficial in some way.

Really though, lots of great stories can be boiled down into the same old archetypes. It’s how the author makes them unique, interesting, and appealing that makes literature good.

•  
      CommentAuthorBrink

Ideas don’t come easily to me, although I like anything mind-screwy or apocalyptic. Aside from that, I really have nothing to work off of.

Just take a vague concept that interests you and think more about it.

Sometimes ideas take a long time to develop. For mine, it started originally as an LotR fanfiction that took place in Harad and then somehow it mutated into something else entirely over the span of three years.

•  
      CommentAuthorClibanarius
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010 edited

Idea's come fairly easy, the harder part is writing them and sticking with one. That and making the more implausible one's semi-plausible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010

When you’re stuck, add ninjas. <— sage words of advice from NaNo. Unfortunately, it’s pretty useless outside of speed-writing a novel.

Idea’s

one’s

ಠ益ಠ

•  
      CommentAuthorClibanarius
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010 edited

Swenson said: *When you’re stuck, add ninjas. <— sage words of advice from NaNo. Unfortunately, it’s pretty useless outside of speed-writing a novel.*

I not sure how I could fit that in dark ages fantasy. Besides noble Cataphracts (Guys who ideally trained from the time they were boys to fight) in full armour on armoured horses, with lances, bows and maces= Awesomeness
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

But… they’re faster? :(

•  
      CommentAuthorBrink

Someone should write a trashy ninja romance novel.

So even if an idea seems like undiluted crap, an author should still make an attempt at it?

Just about any concept can be made to work if you execute properly. My favorite anime is about robot that use drills as weapons and run on manliness. Just write the subject with honesty and sincerity.

Conversely, having an awesome concept by no means guarantees a good story, which is a trap I think far too many aspiring authors fall into nowadays.

Swenson said: *But… they’re faster? :(*

Possibly, armour doesn't really slow you down and it's really hard to get through.

I am a Ninja fan just so you know : ) Dr. Mcninja to be precise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorswenson

I’m pretty sure the Dr. McNinja brand of ninja could beat anybody, even armored knights. :)

Also, really? About the armor not slowing you down? I know that swords weren’t nearly as heavy as most people think they were, but I don’t know anything about armor.

Well armour weighs about 45-66 pounds if you're talking about plate from 1440 to 1562. It gives you about 90 percent flexibility and agility and breathing depends on how well the breathing holes are designed and vision depends on how how close the eyeslits are to your face. Re-enactors can do handstands and cartwheels in it, a man-at-arms could climb, vault into his saddle without using his hands, etc. Some say you can swim in it but I haven't found anything that really varifies that claim. The weight is also spread out over your body and the thickest point (the cuirass) was about 1-2 mm thick. Although eventually the added weight would began to wear you down even if you were used to it. Plate also requires you drink a lot of water as you tend to sweat hard and fast.

As an aside cataphracts while they generally came from noble families weren't men-at-arms.

Someone should write a trashy ninja romance novel.

I knew that there was something dangerous about him, and yet…I could not resist his super-ninja powers!

I want to spill your blood but I love you

I love you to, you're hot.

You smell good.
    • CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2010

Twilight flashback

Urgh.

I’m usually deprived of appropriate ideas and inspiration for stories, poems, artwork, etc. It’s a miracle that I actually come up with anything.

“Idea’s come fairly easy, the harder part is writing them and sticking with one. That and making the more implausible one’s semi-plausible.”

Apart from the apostrophe rape (sorry, Clib!), I agree with this statement whole-heartedly.

No idea how ideas come to me. Dunno how my main fantasy idea first came over 3 years ago. I very rarely write it but sometimes I think about it and new ideas occur to me somehow and the story develops more. It's possible a lot of "inspiration" comes from The Legend of Zelda series since many could probably instantly see the similarities even though I dont believe Zelda affected me at all. Pretty sure I wouldve thought of these ideas if I didnt know anything about Zelda and they're different enough. I'm annoyed because coincidentally the newest Zelda being made for Wii seems to once again have very obvious similarities. I'm not a plagiarizer!!1

But I know exactly how the other main story idea I wanted to write came about. It all started with a friend asking me to tell her a story, so I did. It was short and stupid and was pretty much just about how awesome I am. But I realised that if I expanded on it a lot more and made it not as stupid it would make a great parody novel of the sci-fi genre and other things. And because it's a parody I thought the more cliched it is and the more it rips off the better. I then decided to try to fit in as many TV Tropes as possible that would work for the story I wanted to tell and name every chapter after the trope that is featured most predominantly in the chapter.

But yeah I dunno if I can help you.

I know that ideas have to be your own, but how do you get them?

Okay, I should have answered this before but I got sidetracked from the main issue. Here’s how to get ideas:

Take something, some situation or idea from your life, or even just an object. For example, right next to me, I have an oversized plastic comb.

Now twist it. Why is it there? Who is involved in your situation? For what other reasons could that anecdote from your life have happened? What if the feelings of the people in that situation were different, or the situation played out differently…

Idea 1: What if I don’t remember why that comb is there? Maybe I didn’t put it there. Maybe my telekinetic sister was practising on it, trying to move it places and do other stuff without me noticing. So why wouldn’t she want me to notice? Well, I might not know about her powers because I don’t believe in stuff like that, and she’s having trouble or we could both be part of a family cult/religion in which any signs of telekinesis in a person lead to her banishment or in being taken away to serve some random temple. Or maybe we’re both gifted with different powers and are forever trying to play practical jokes on each other, and this comb being here is the first step in her latest (when I pick it up I’ll get an electric shock).

Idea 2: Maybe I’m so vain that I have this comb with me all the time. Maybe I get very anxious about my looks and am very insecure, and [inserting another random scenario] this boy at school that I like is beginning to like me back. But maybe my insecurity leads to me worrying about him cheating on me, and so I sleep with him to keep him, and then he dumps me.

Idea 3: Maybe this comb is here because Snow White’s evil queen stepmother has poisoned it and has ordered me to take it to her. Perhaps I’m this old hag who will comply just to survive, or perhaps I’m just as evil as the queen is. Perhaps when I go to her cottage and knock on the door, Snow White doesn’t answer it, and instead this old dwarf answers the door, and I immediately recognise him. He could be my long-lost son, transformed into a dwarf and he asks me to change him back, so I have to go on a quest or learn magic or something. Perhaps he’s my arch-enemy Rufio500, an evil dwarf cyborg, and he has taken refuge in this fairytale land to regroup or as the next stage in his master plan.

Idea 4: Maybe this comb is a golden comb, and I’ve just won it as a trophy from a beauty contest or perhaps I’m a handsome knight and I’ve gotten it from saving a princess. Maybe I’m a master thief.

The whole point of ideas is seeing everyday life and asking, what could happen here that would make life radically and totally different? The ideas will soon start to flow and you can build on them. Life’s what you make it.

I also have trouble with ideas, except currently I several, which is really unusual for me. So instead of getting ideas I’ve had more trouble choosing an idea.

Anyway, this is kind of going off what Steph said (which was really good advice). I’ve heard that people watching helps with ideas. Like, that guy over there is in a black hoodie, with the hood pulled up. Why is the hood pulled? Is he hiding something? What if he started following me? Maybe he’s a serial killer or a an alien, or a cyborg from the future (Arnold did say he’d be back).

Or, look at that woman. Her make-up is all smudged, and her mascara is kind of running. Maybe she’s been crying. Why was she crying? Maybe someone died or her boyfriend broke-up with her. Maybe she’s just got horrible allergies that make her eyes water. Maybe she was hospitalized for these allergies as a child. Maybe she’s developed a horrible disease that is airborne and may spread to the rest of the human race, killing everyone.

Or that kid over there. He’s throwing a tantrum. Why is he throwing a tantrum? Is he just a brat? Maybe he’s being kidnapped, but nobody’s paying attention because there are tons of kids who throw tantrums in the supermarket. Maybe he’s been missing for years, or maybe he’s being snatched from the store by human traffickers.

Etc. etc.

Or take situations from novels or movies that affect you or make you think, and ask, how could this be changed? What if somebody else was experiencing these emotions, and why?

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2010

Going along with what Steph and NP said, usually ideas don’t pop fully-formed into your head. For me, I don’t even get basic outlines, like “girl with plant powers fights evil genius with fire powers for humanity”. I tend to get snippets of scenes, feelings I want to put into words, characters, or even just characteristics of a person. You have to take the responsibility to develop that snippet into an actual story—who is this character? Where and why is this scene taking place? What would make someone feel this way?

A series of short stories I was working on before came out of a snippet of an idea that came to me: a series of short stories all including the same thing. That was it. From there, I had to develop it further. I determined that the stories would all be connected, although perhaps it wouldn’t be evident at first, and would take place in the same place with connected characters, although not at the same time. The “thing” common to all the stories became a bridge. At this point, I still didn’t know the significance of the bridge or where it was, but I had the basic idea: a bunch of stories all involving a special bridge that would be developed throughout the stories, which would be out-of-order chronologically. Over more time, I developed the bridge’s setting into a small town in a fantasy world with supernatural beings, and the bridge became the holding cell/prison for a fairy who, hundreds of years before, had committed some terrible acts against humanity, and in punishment was bound to the bridge forever, and so on. But it all came from one simple thought: what if I wrote a bunch of short stories with a common theme?

I tend to get snippets of scenes, feelings I want to put into words, characters, or even just characteristics of a person.

I get those. Sometimes just hearing something on TV or reading something on the internet will make a scene or feeling flash in mind.

Good advise, Swenson.

I get little scenes in my head. Which is lovely, but then I have to write a story around a scene.

For example, the novel I have yet to write is one mass of little scenes that have been swimming in my head for four almost five years. It started with one scene. Then a healing scene. Then a chase scene. Then a fight scene. And more and more until I have this entire planned-out fantasy world, with it’s own geography, at least two main religions in the country I’m in, plus a few more in the other countries, a history that goes back to hunter-gatherer stage, a detailed magic system, and an evolving cast of characters in a planned quartet with plot arcs spanning two books or more.

Unfortunately, I still have to write it out, but I keep scrapping it because it’s not good enough. I’ve had these movies in my head since I was twelve, and it’s very difficult to convert that into words, especially since I love the world-building so much and almost don’t want to ruin it by my words.

•  
      CommentAuthorNorthmark

I’ve had these movies in my head since I was twelve, and it’s very difficult to convert that into words, especially since I love the world-building so much and almost don’t want to ruin it by my words.

Same thing here. I feel that the words I try to describe them with will never allow a reader to see them as vividly as I do, which leads to lots of deletion. I’ve basically resigned myself to writing smaller stories, keeping my major plots in my head until I become a good enough writer to do them justice.

Anyway, Steph, NP, and Swenson have some great tips up there.

I’ve basically resigned myself to writing smaller stories, keeping my major plots in my head until I become a good enough writer to do them justice.

Same here. I’ve made more headway on fanfics than I ever have on my actual writing, for the exact same reason as you.

Thirded.

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

Ok, this is my THIRD TRY at posting my comment. Stupid page keeps logging itself out.

My ideas are generally courtesy of ADD. I only have ever had one good idea for an original fantasy world. I am posting it in hidden text because I am paranoid about guests seeing it. The idea came to me during a dull moment in choir. We were singing a piece titled And God Gave Music, and it hit me…

So yeah…

^^That is a cool idea, and pretty original too.

•  
      CommentAuthorBrink

These are all really good ideas—everything’s appreciated.
    I have characters, but no plot. Maybe I’ll try the short story thing if I ever stop being a lazy slob find myself with some free time.

• CommentAuthorNo One
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2010

Another suggestion for getting ideas:

If you’re a daydreamer or dreamer like me, you could write a story out of a dream/daydream.

Which I plan to do when I have time and when I’m feeling particularly motivated.

If you’re a daydreamer or dreamer like me, you could write a story out of a dream/daydream.

Quite true. That short story about books I wrote was born of a daydream.

@WiseWillow

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

@WW

• CommentAuthorWiseWillow

@ arska

•  
      CommentAuthorhappycrab91
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2010 edited

I kind of agree with arska... but it's your story do whatever you like. When I first read your idea I also decided to figure our what instruments should be what element and I chose the same ones as arska because I too think they make sense musically. Well the only one that might not exactly fit is strings for water. Well ok maybe horns for fire isnt the best either.... meh.

•  
      CommentAuthorarska

•  
      CommentAuthorswenson

^^Haha

•  
      CommentAuthorBrink
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2010

Life? Like ki?
    Don’t take my word for it, I have no idea what I’m talking about.

Say you have an idea, but you don’t think you can do it justice. Would you wait until your writing improved, or simply tackle it and revise it as necessary?

Would you wait until your writing improved, or simply tackle it and revise it as necessary?

It depends on how much I wanted to write about the idea and if I had other ideas that I thought I could handle at my current skill level. If I had no ideas and really wanted to write about the awesome one, I’d just revise as necessary. However, there are certain ideas that I have tried to justice to and failed miserably before even writing a whole chapter, so I guess those will have to wait. It’s not always that your writing isn’t good enough. Sometimes it’s just hard to put ideas into words regardless of your skill level.

@Brink

Life? Like ki?

Life, like a movie reference.

•  
      CommentAuthorBrink
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2010

I agree with NP. Of course, you would want to write down every detail you have of the awesome idea. Which means, at least with me, that I end up trying to write the awesome story regardless of whether I am going to just save it for later.